martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
January 7, 2019

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM

Board Members In attendance: Brian Allen, Sally Ayrey, Cathy Taylor, Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Carol Farley, Dave Van De Water, Carrie Gutbier
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian)
Guests: Denise Koller, Betsy Habberfield
Board Members Absent: Katie McCartney

Additions/changes to the agenda–
   1. Discuss the annual meeting under new business
   2. Move nomination of board members to the top of the agenda

Nomination of new board members – Brian moved to nominate Betsy and Denise to be board members. Sally seconded. The motion was unanimously approved. Both would be filling 3-year full terms – one for Carrie and one empty seat. We are still looking for a candidate to fill Bob Dudley’s partial term.

We also need a new student member. Katie is no longer able to serve in this role. Carol will investigate options.

Minutes
   • Previous meeting’s minutes – Brian moved that the December minutes be approved as revised. Dave seconded. The motion was unanimously approved.

Treasurer’s Report (summary):
   • Budget and balance sheet were sent in advance
   • It appears as if we have a healthy balance but it is deceiving because our generous donor gave us two checks for two separate annual funds in the same year. The same happened for the Sandgate annual check.
   • $35,380 balance for Annual Fund to date.
   • Townscape funds – Arlington Townscape Association – liquidated. Gave 1/3 to library, 1/3 to Russel Collection, 1/3 to a fund (in trust) to a future historical society group. The total is around $15,000. ($5,778 each) Sally would like to put some of our funds into a certificate of deposit (CD). She has negotiated a 2.75% for a 17-month CD with The Bank of Bennington. This would be a combination of Townscape money and our own money. Sally is looking for $20,000 minimum. Money is available from the endowment is making 2% so we would be making more in the CD. Sally is proposing taking approximately $30,000 from the Berkshire Bank checking account and approximately $10,000 from the Bank of Bennington account. Brian made a motion to approve Sally’s request. Carol seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
   • Brian said that the finance committee unanimously approved the 2019 budget. He noted it was a tight budget. Brian moved we approve the 2019 budget. Sheila explained the amounts requested from the towns and how Shaftsbury was different. She also listed the amounts each town would need to give (what we’d need to request) to become exactly equivalent per capita. The Sandgate ask is done. The Shaftsbury ask has been made. Both Arlington (95) and Sunderland (35) will require increases. Need to be to Phyllis before 2PM on January 17th.
   • Sheila described how increases in requests to the various towns were calculated this year in order to achieve per capita equity. John discussed that the board has voted on requests for town increases in the past. Brian and Sheila said it was approved in the Finance Committee meeting. We can try to move it earlier next year. I was discussed that we need to clarify whose responsibility it is to take the action to make these requests in the future.
   • Carol moved to approve the budget as presented. Laura seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
   • On January 14 at 4PM we have a meeting with The Bank of Bennington to review our portfolio. All members of the board are invited to attend. This is for advisement purposes only at this time. Brian and Sheila will also follow up with Morgan Stanley to talk with Mr. Werner who focuses on investments for non-profit organizations. Again this is for advisement purposes only at this time. Sheila wants the full finance meeting to be involved in this. Krause is our current investment firm.
   • Phyllis also got the name of the person from the Manchester Library who helped them with their investments.
   • Dave asked about the Vermont Community Foundation. Sally has not had good experience with them in the past. Dave feels like there could be some intangible benefits that VCF could provide.
   • John asked about the motivation for investigating other investment options. A discussion followed. Some on the board feel we can get better returns from our endowment investments.

Librarian’s Report (summary):
   • Phyllis point out some highlights from her circulated report including the Farmer’s Market, the basket raffle, the cookie swap, etc.
   • Programming schedule for JISP days for those kids who do not ski or skate.
   • Peggy is taking a leave but has everything well prepared in advance of her absence.

Programming (Adult, Youth, Children’s)
   • Adult programming – Carrie reviewed her general approach.
   • Brian recognized Carrie’s excellent work

Gallery
   • Bill Budde, Don Trachte, and Dave all share the current Rockwell exhibit with the Vermont Historical Society for consideration. They want to put in Montpelier from August through the end of the year. Dave is looking at how to “polish it up” and whether any funding is needed to support changes and moving it.
    • Current plan for the “season” is to go back to basics. Go back to the “Artists of the Battenkill”. Rotate different artists throughout the year. The ball has started rolling on this.

Russell Collection Report
    • No report tonight

Old Business:
   1. No old business.

New Business:
   1. Slate of Officers – Same as current exists with looking to find a new treasurer near the end of next year. Brian moved to approve the slate, Dave seconded. The motion was passed unanimously.
   2. Review of Annual meeting agenda. Annual committee reports. Goal is to have get some outside people. Sheila asked for reports by January 21st so they can be posted in advance to the community.
   3. Dave said a “cheer” for Bob Dudley and recognized that he is missed.

Next meeting – Annual meeting, Monday, February 4th at 6PM
Regular meeting -Monday, February 4th at 7PM
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.

 

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists