martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

August 6, 2018

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM

Board Members In attendance: Dave Van De Water, Bob Dudley, Katie McCartney, Carrie
Gutbier, Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Carol Farley
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests:
Board Members Absent: Brian Allen, Sally Ayrey, Cathy Taylor


Additions to the agenda–
1. No additions
Minutes
 Previous meeting’s minutes – Bob moved that the June minutes be approved. Carol
seconded. The motion was unanimously approved.


Treasurer’s Report (summary):
 Discussion of how to raise money for the library. The committee that was headed by
Dave Thomas for planned giving needs to be revitalized. Flo Belnap and John Spencer
were the other two on the committee.
 Missy will be here next meeting to discuss the endowment. Questions regarding her
presentation were discussed.
 Phyllis pointed out we need to start planning for the Annual Fund drive.
 Phyllis said the new pay system seemed to be working well from her point of view. Still
working on a schedule for the new bookkeeper to pick up bills, etc.


Librarian’s Report (summary):
 Children’s summer programs going well – keeping Peggy busy
 Reading club is going well.
 There is a story walk here at the library and at the Rec Park. Sheila asked if there was
any way to track usage. Not a good way to do this.
 New volunteers are listed in the report
 The young adult section was weeded with Carol’s help
 Statistics are normal. More library card requests this year than in the past.
 Phyllis reported that we have seen more requests for our books through the inter-
library loan system. The number of requests from our patrons fluctuates from year to
year.


Martha’s Book House Report
 New sign outside of the Book House. Jean Freebern helped get it replaced. We paid for
it and had $450 in donations to help cover it.
 There was a good Memorial Day weekend. The summer has been about average.
Programming (Adult, Youth, Children’s)
 Yesterday’s talk on biking in VT was good. About 8 people attended.
 Carrie and Carol reported on a plan for a “season-long” book reading. On 9/18 there
would be a multi-age read-aloud kick-off then on 9/25 have a talk on the book, “Bread
and Roses Too“ Then a film on the mills, then on 10/2 a potential tour of Mack and mills
along the Battenkill. 10/4 all age discussion again. Possibly doing an Italian dinner that
is a fundraiser for the library. Maybe have a bibliography with related articles and links.
 One last talk in November? Laura suggested a VINS presentation but recognized it was
expensive and depended on budget considerations.

Buildings & Grounds
 Bill said the grounds look great. We should get a photo of the building with the flowers
out front.

Gallery
 Dave reported that the Rockwell show has been outstanding. Phyllis reported probably
more people have visited this exhibit more than any other exhibit. Huge word-of-mouth
campaign. The plan is to put the exhibit up after the Russell Collection exhibit for the
schools.
 Plan for a fall show of local artists (perhaps small pictures).
 Only sold one piece of the angler’s exhibit. Received nice critical acclaim but prices
were high.
 Budget – spent about $2,500, made $1,500. Need to make this up – hopefully, in the fall
timeframe.
 Bill asked that if the Rockwell exhibit is doing so well, can we rent it out? Ideal for State
Historical Society or at the capitol.

Russell Collection Report
 Bill passed out a printed report
 He reviewed the activities including helping the Rockwell Models’ Reunion, supporting
“Brave Little State” podcast, preparing for the USS Bennington and civil defense during
WWII exhibit and tours of local historical sites including old growth forests.

Old Business:

1. Noise abatement – discussion on panels or not. We have $1,400 set aside. Anything
above that would need some type of additional funding. Sheila said we would need to
have a financial discussion during the September meeting. Phyllis clarified that the two
projects (wall and acoustical work) could be done together or separately. Reading room
wall is estimated at $7,842 and acoustical work in the youth room is estimated at
$3,855. Bill asked either of these project would affect the heating and cooling systems.
Phyllis said we many need to move a thermostat.
2. Fixed assets – Bob reported that he thinks the number in the budget of $73,000 is low.
Bob has an updated list from Phyllis. He will be inventorying technical equipment and
other things. Bob will get a rough draft to the board by the September meeting. Bill
asked if rare books with value were going to be considered as fixed assets. Bob said,
probably not most books in the library, but some should be considered.


New Business:
1. September meeting financial review. Want to get a better sense of where we need to
be and how to focus on fundraising. Look into more legacy sources of funds. Sheila will
put together a response to Brian’s email.
Bob made a motion to adjourn. Carol seconded. The motion passed unanimously.


Next meeting – Monday, September 10 th at 7PM
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists