Minutes - Feb 2017 Regular Board Meeting
MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
February 6, 2017
**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**
The Board meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM
In attendance: Alyson Grzyb, Carrie Gutbier, Dave Thomas, Cindy Pike, John Spencer, Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Simon Metcalf, Brian Allen, Charlie Cummings, Sheila Kearns, Dave Van De Water
Absent: Henry Cochran
Guests: Bill Budde
• (December, 2016)
o Corrections to Minutes
-Two spelling corrections: genealogy and Seline
o Motion to approve minutes – Sheila moved to approve, Simon seconded, motion carried
• (January 2017)
o Corrections to Minutes
o Motion to approve minutes – Brian moved to approve, Dave T. seconded, motion carried
Treasurer’s Report (summary):
• $985 in annual fund so far for 2017
• Expenses normal
• Received first installment of Efficiency VT payments
• Approve Budget – Change to Russell Collection budget proposal – staff should be $5,300. Reviewed by the finance committee in December. Everyone who reviewed it in January thought it looked good but there was not a quorum to pass it.
o Motion to approve 2017 budget – Dave T. moved to approve, Brian seconded, motion carried
Librarian’s Report (summary):
• Phyllis sent out full report
• Sent out annual report to Department of Libraries
• Anita Werner passed away in January – Library is recipient of memorial gifts
• Advocates group - will continue somewhat informally with no chair. Will conduct some 50/50 fund raisers. First on April 22nd. Earth day book sale? Bob Dudley will not be around to help conduct. Bob is planning a Memorial Day weekend sale. Coordinating with Garden Club. No auction this year. Perhaps on 25th anniversary. They recommended not counting on any fundraising being in the budget. Basket raffle is an exception because it was started before the Advocates group.
• Peggy organizing activities for JISP days for kids who do not ski or skate.
• 22 books donated from the Wish Tree
• Received a letter from the Bennington Court. The person who robbed the Library was sentenced to 1-5 years in jail and must do restitution.
• March 4th is Gallery reception 3-5 for Tom Atkins. March 5th – Hildene discussion by Seth Bongarts at 2PM.
• Carrie and Phyllis will work on more programming.
1. Long Range Plans
a. Last one ended in 2016
b. Alyson will be working on finishing it up in the next few weeks and send it out for discussion at the next meeting
2. Buildings and Grounds update - None
3. Russell Collection report - None
4. Gallery update – No program for February.
1. Efficiency VT discussion. Planning to do a fair amount of work in the next few weeks. Jim Secor (Secor Group) has access to the building. Have started doing insulation. Will be inventorying the light fixtures to upgrade to LED. Phyllis will be keeping in touch as additional questions come up.
2. Programming – Carrie took over but needs help with ideas. Will talk with Phyllis about Vermont Humanities program opportunities. Charlie volunteered to help out. Typically set up one on the first Sunday of each month at 2PM. Dave VDW also said he would be willing to help out. Carrie will set up a meeting with interested parties to plan things out. Bill will also participate.
3. New bank account papers will need to be signed for the new trustees. Cindy will pull this together.
4. Russell Collection wants to post things on the MCL website. Laura is the point of contact for the website.
5. Phyllis – Mark Madison said that the software he uses the do the website is no longer supported. He is recommending that we update the software using supported software keeping the look and feel about the same. The cost would be about $700. Phyllis will keep Sheila in the loop. Phyllis is not sure of the old or new platform.
Next meeting – Monday, March 13th at 7PM
Meeting adjourned at 7:43 PM.
- Minutes - Annual Meeting Feb 2017
- Agenda - Feb 2017 Annual Meeting
- Agenda - Feb 2017 Regular Board Meeting
- Minutes - Jan 2017 Board Meeting
- Agenda - Jan 2017 Board Meeting
- Minutes - Dec 2016 Regular Meeting
- Agenda - Dec 2016 Board Meeting
- Minutes - Nov 2016 Regular Board Meeting
- Agenda - Nov 2016 Board Meeting
- Minutes - Oct 2016 Regular Board
- Agenda - Oct 2016 Board Meeting
- Minutes - Sept 2016 Regular Board Meeting
- Agenda - Sept 2016 Regular Meeting
- Minutes - August 2016 Regular Meeting
- Agenda - Aug 2016 Regular Meeting
- Minutes - June 2016 Regular Meeting
- Minutes - May 2016 Regular Meeting
- Minutes - April 2016 Regular Meeting
- Agenda - April 2016 Board Meeting
- Minutes - March 2016 Regular Meeting
- Agenda - March 2016 Regular Meeting
- Minutes - Board of Trustees Meeting - February 2016
- Minutes - Annual Meeting - February 2016
- Agenda - February 2016 Regular Meeting